LauraCarter

Bookish Treasures

My name is Laura and I am a huge fan of YA, NA and fantasy novels. I proudly support both indie and traditionally published authors. You can check out my blog for reviews, interviews, guest posts and more at http://www.bookishtreasures.blogspot.com

SKY
R.E. Palmer
Playing For Keeps (The Game, #2)
Emma Hart

The Forgotten Ones

The Forgotten Ones - Laura   Howard

This review and others can be found at http://www.bookishtreasures.blogspot.com

I thought The Forgotten Ones was very interesting. The concept behind it was something not yet seen in New Adult books (though has been done in YA). It starts off like a contemporary romance and subtly weaves in the magic until you are fully immersed in a world of relatively traditional fairies.

What I found refreshing about this book was that its main focus was on the storyline and the magic and that wasn’t all only secondary to the romance. I did feel that the characters could have been more engaging which is the main reason why this book only got 4 stars.

The best part of this book was the storyline and the mythology. It was really well developed and beautifully written. The author’s magical writing style mixes well with the magical themes of the book.

Parts of this book seemed very introductory. For example the romance between Allison and Ethan never fully blossoms and we only see the hints of their attraction. The Forgotten Ones is the first in a series so presumably things like this will be further explored in future books.

I will admit that I was confused by the ending. It is one of those sudden “We have just discovered this” ending but I was confused as it was something that I was pretty sure the characters had found out in the previous chapter.

This was a great start to the series introducing very well the characters and the world and setting the scene for the story to unfold over a few books. I am looking forwards to the next book in the series. There is so much more I want to see: characters being more developed and friendships and relationships being explored.

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, this has not affected my opinions or rating in any way*

Source: http://www.bookishtreasures.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/blog-tour-and-review-of-forgotten-ones.html